Under the supervision of the Food Service Director, the Cook prepares and cooks food in large quantities according to diet, consistency, and cycles of menu. Monitors methods of food handling, preparation, meal service, and equipment cleaning. Serves meals. Has general supervision over food service workers in a kitchen; does other related duties as required.
This position is for Full-Time at 30 hours.
One (1) year of experience as a cook involving the areas of food preparation and processing including but not limited to cooking, baking, meat cutting, pot washing, dishwashing, and the serving of food in a commercial or institution kitchen.
Duties include (but not limited to):
- Clean, cut, and cook meat, fish, or poultry
- Prepares raw ingredients such as vegetables, fruits, meats, poultry, and fish for the cooking process by washing, peeling, slicing, seasoning, and so forth
- Cook food according to menus, special dietary or nutritional restrictions, and numbers of portions to be served
- Ensure that all cooking temp logs, temp when taking out of oven and holding temp, are up to date
- Bake breads, rolls, and other pastries
- Operates steam cookers, stoves, ovens, ranges, and other cooking equipment
- Prepares soups, salads, desserts, and beverages
- Tastes food to ensure that color, texture, taste, and nutritional values are maintained
- Ensures that all federal, state, department, and other necessary government agency requirements are met in the preparation of food
- Sees that menus are followed and that established food preservation and preparation procedures are used
- Direct activities of one or more workers who assist in preparing and serving meals
- Discards outdated food from refrigerators
- Compile and maintain records of food use and expenditures
- Take inventory of supplies and equipment
- Receives and stores food supplies, using FIFO Method (First in, First out)
- Checks food supplies, kitchen supplies, and kitchen laundry, and ensures that cooking utensils, pans, and other equipment are kept in a clean/sanitary condition
- Clean and inspect galley equipment, kitchen appliances, and work areas to ensure cleanliness and functional operation
- Wash pots, pans, dishes, utensils, and other cooking equipment
- Washes and polishes ranges, roasters, broilers, milk cans, and other equipment